Information for Undocumented Students

File Your FAFSA Today!


What is the FAFSA?

FAFSA is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid and is essentially your passport for going to college.

Why should I complete the FAFSA?

Completing a postsecondary degree or credential is crucial.  By 2025, 77 percent of Oklahoma jobs will require a credential beyond high school, yet only 39 percent of Tulsa County’s adult population holds an associate degree or higher.

The FAFSA is required for Tulsa Achieves, which offers full tuition to Tulsa Community College for graduating seniors in Tulsa County and Accelerating Independence, which offers a scholarship to cover unmet Tulsa Tech tuition costs. 
All federal grant and loan awards are determined by the FAFSA application, and nearly all colleges use the FAFSA as the basis for their own financial aid awards What are you waiting for? Fill out the FAFSA today!

What if my family doesn't qualify?

You might be surprised! The earlier you fill out the FAFSA, the greater your chances of getting financial aid. And even if you don’t, the FAFSA is required for most scholarship applications and local programs like Tulsa Achieves, Oklahoma’s Promise and Accelerating Independence.

When should I complete my FAFSA?

The filing date opens October 1. The sooner you fill it out, the better your chances of getting financial aid. Don’t wait!

I need help completing my FAFSA. Who should I talk to?

We have many resources right here in Tulsa to help you get to college. Start with your school counselor or the financial aid office at the college applying to to get in-person help filling out your FAFSA application.  Look for FAFSA events at your school and in your community.  Follow ImpactTulsa on social media to find out when there is an event near you. 



I completed my FAFSA. Now what do I do?

Congrats! You took a big step toward postsecondary enrollment next year. Now you need to check your email and student portal at your college frequently for updates and forms.

My FAFSA is flagged for verification. What is that and how can I tell?

The government selects one-third of submitted FAFSA’s for review, but this does not mean that the forms are wrong. You can see if your form is selected by looking for the asterisk * symbol next to your EFC on your Student Aid Report. If your form is not flagged for verification through the federal government, still check your student portal for any forms about financial aid.

If selected for verification by the government or school, until the forms are complete the schools will not provide a financial aid letter, so it is important to do the forms quickly and accurately.

I have a financial aid letter, but I do not know all the terms used. Where can I find out more?

OKCollegeStart provides a financial aid dictionary.

I think I have to take out some federal loans for college. How do I know which to take?

While we are not the experts in your finances, here are some sources that can help you walk through the loan acceptance process.


Calculate how much you will need in loans and which loans to borrow:

  • The order you want to accept financial aid:
    • Scholarships and grants
    • Work-study
    • Federal student loans
    • Loans from your state government or college
    • Private loans


Go through loan exit counseling:

  • This process takes about 20-30 minutes and is for first-time borrowers of Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized loans.


Sign your MPN:

  • A legal document that has you promise to pay your loan and any accrued interest and fees.
  • There is one for your subsidized/unsubsidized loans and a different one for a Direct PLUS loan.
  • The process usually takes less than 30 minutes.
  • You will need your FSAID and password.
  • This will require reference information for two people with different U.S. address who have known you for at least 3 years. One can have the address you live in but the other cannot.
    • References are not responsible financially for any part of your loan. These are individuals that would be contacted if you quit paying your loan.
    • You will need their name, address, email (optional), relationship to you, and phone number.


Accept that amount on your school portal:

  • You will have to let the school know the amount you are accepting.
  • Find out when the loans will be added to your account.
  • School financial aid offices will let you know when to expect the loans to go through. They will not go through though until you go through the loan entrance counseling, sign the MPN, and accept them on the portal.